The growing “special diet” section in your local book shop is reassurance that you are a part of large and growing group of people whose digestive tracts are demanding that we reconsider our modern diet, medications, environmental toxins and stress levels. By offering a great selection of cook books, we endeavor to give families an idea of how fun and easy “special diets” can be.
Many dietary principles that help children with ADHD, asthma, allergies and autism also help individuals suffering from Coeliac, Colitis, Crohn’s, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, anxiety and depression.
Individuals dealing with metabolic and digestive disorders require special diets to avoid foods that trigger allergies or harm the digestive tract. There are a number of “elimination” diets that can help in this way. While elimination is sometimed necessary, in many instances certain foods can be reintroduced once the gastro intesinal tract has had time to heal.
In general we recommend an organic, fresh, wholefood diet with no/minimal refined flours and sugars and no processed foods, artificial additives, colourings or preservatives. And plenty of filtered water containing minerals is essential.
Below are descriptions for several terms you will come across in this page.
Many people have IgG sensitivities to eggs and other foods – this limits the number of foods available in an already restricted diet. We recommend working with your health professional to: do an IgG test to identify and eliminate offending foods, heal the gut and then reintroduce those foods once the gut is healed.
Other Recommended books
- The Yeast Connection – William G Crook MD
- Allergy Overload Are Foods and Chemicals Killing you – Stephen Griffiths
- Dr Mandell’s 5 Day Allergy Relief System
- It Could be Allergy and it Can be Cured – Phillip Alexander
- Mastering the Zone – Barry Sears PhD
- The Omega Zone The Miracle of the New High Dose Fish Oil – Dr Barry Sears
- The Chemical Connection How the air you breathe and what you eat affect the way you feel and what you do.. And what you can do about it! – Louise Samways
- Eat Right for your Type – Peter D’Adamo
- Cooking Without – Recipes free from Gluten, Sugar, Dairy, Yeast, Salt, Saturated Fat – suitable for candida and allergy sufferers –Barbara Cousins
- The Paleo Diet – Eat the food you were designed to eat – Loren Cordain
- The Liver Cleansing Diet – Love Your Liver and Live Longer – Dr Sandra Cabot
- The FAILSAFE Cookbook – Reducing food chemicals for calm, happy families – Sue Dengate