Heidi’s Onion Pie
By Donna Gates
Do you dislike onions? Here is an Onion Pie recipe from Donna Gates’ new cookbook that will possibly change your mind!
A delicious and easy to make vegetarian Onion pie. You can serve it for snacks too!
Mindd recommends you check out Donna Gates’ Body Ecology Diet
Serves: 6 to 8
Preparation Time: 30 minutes (plus 8 hours soaking)
Cooking Time: About 45 minutes
- 2 cups amaranth flour
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- ½ cup filtered water
- 6 large onions, thinly sliced in ½ rounds
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian blend or oregano, parsley, rosemary, basil, and celery seed
- ½ teaspoon basil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1½ to 2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- ½ cup amaranth, soaked for at least 8 hours and rinsed
- ½ red bell pepper, minced
- 2 to 3 scallions, thinly sliced in rounds
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs such as basil or cilantro, minced (optional)
- Herbamare, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the crust in a bowl or in a food processor. Combine amaranth flour, sea salt, and coconut oil or ghee and cut or pulse until crumbly. Gradually add water until dough begins to form a ball.
- Turn dough out onto waxed paper and form into flat round. Sprinkle flour over and around the dough, top with more waxed paper, and roll until ¼ inch thick.
- Transfer the crust to a round pizza pan. Crimp edges. Pierce the dough all over with a fork to keep it from shrinking. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, and set aside.
- Sauté onion, garlic, herbs, and pepper flakes in coconut oil or ghee. Reduce heat, cover, and cook until onions are tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add water, sea salt, and amaranth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer covered, for approximately 20 minutes. Remove lid and boil off excess liquid. (You can also prepare the amaranth in a pressure cooker (see the first recipe in this section). Rinse and drain before proceeding.
- Combine red bell pepper, scallions, and optional fresh herbs and add to hot amaranth.
- Spoon the filling evenly over pre-baked crust. Sprinkle with Herbamare, garlic powder, and pepper flakes, if desired.
- Bake pie for approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
As a rule, soak grains in water for 8 hours before cooking is a must to remove the phytic acid. Doing so makes them easier to digest. Use a very fine mesh strainer and rinse these seeds under running water for a couple of minutes before cooking.
Find out more about Dona Gates and the Body Ecology Diet here…